Malawi University of Science and Technology (MUST) Department of Engineering Entry Requirements
General Entry Requirements into MUST
Unless otherwise specified in the programme document, admission of ‘O and A level applicants shall be based on the following:
- Holders of MSCE, IGSCE or other internationally recognised qualification comparable to ‘O’ level certificates with at least six credits including Mathematics, Physical Science/Physics, chemistry, and at least a pass of 7 points or its equivalent in English language obtained in the current year or the previous year. For purposes of selection, ‘O’ level grades are interpreted as follows: A*=1, A=2, B=3, C=5, D=7, EFG=8. Please note the difference in the interpretation for the ‘A’ level grades.
- Candidates with ‘A’ level qualifications must have a minimum of three principal passes which should include Mathematics, Physics or Chemistry with aggregate of at least 9 points obtained in the current year or the preceding two years. For purposes of selection, ‘A’ level grades are interpreted as follows: A=5, B=4, C=3, D=2, E=1. Please note the difference in the interpretation for the ‘O’ level grades.
- Candidates with an International Baccalaureate (IB) must have a minimum of 30 points obtained in the current year or the preceding two years with bias in science subjects.
- Candidates with an Advanced Subsidiary (AS) certificate must have achieved at least grade ‘C’ in four AS-Level recognised subjects plus IGSCE credits in Mathematics, Physics/Chemistry, and at least a pass in English language (as in 2.1), obtained in the current year or the preceding years.
- Candidates with a National Senior Certificate (NSC) must have a minimum score of 60% (Achievement Level 5) in four designated NSC subjects including Mathematics and Physics/Chemistry, and at least a pass in English language (as in 2.1) obtained in the current year or the preceding year.
The admission requirement into the postgraduate programmes shall be:
- A bachelor’s degree from any recognised institution of higher learning with at least a strong pass in relevant fields as specified in programme specification document. Applicants with 3 years plus relevant working experience at graduate level will be given a priority.
MUST PhD programmes will lead to the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in a specific field of study as designed by school/Faculty or Department. MUST PhD programmes would provide students with advanced knowledge in key areas.
Admission to PhD programmes requires the completion of a Master’s degree in a relevant field from an acceptable university programme. Candidates with a Master’s degree in related fields may be accepted based on the assessment of MUST faculty members on the candidate’s proficiency in any specific field and assessment of an initial research proposal submitted together with the application form.