LUANAR JOB VACANCY 2017 : POST OF DEPUTY VICE-CHANCELLOR
The Council for the Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR) is inviting applications from suitably qualified, experienced and distinguished academic/research/administrative professionals to be considered for the position of Deputy Vice-Chancellor for LUANAR which will fall vacant soon.
LUANAR is the third public University in Malawi. It was established through Act No. 22 of 2011 by delinking Bunda College of Agriculture from the University of Malawi and integrating the Natural Resources College which was established under a Trust. LUANAR was operationalised on 1st July, 2012. The University has a current enrolment of 9,120 students in five faculties (Agriculture, Development Studies, Food and Human Sciences, Natural Resources Management and Postgraduate Studies) on three campuses (Bunda Campus, NRC Campus and the City Campus). In addition to the campus-based education, LUANAR operates the Open and Distant Learning (ODL) Programme, currently with centres in Blantyre, Lilongwe and Mzuzu.
The Deputy Vice-Chancellor
Reporting to the Vice-Chancellor, the Deputy Vice Chancellor assists the Vice Chancellor in overseeing the day-to-day administration of the University and he/she shall see to it that the goals of the University are met. She/he is responsible for Academic, Research and Administrative affairs of the University. This is an exceptionally challenging and rewarding role, with a broad range of responsibilities. The duties and responsibilities of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor shall include:
1. Leadership and Management
• Provide innovative leadership to the University geared at the furtherance of the objectives of the University.
• Spearhead strategic planning, policy formulation and implementation targeted at the University and responsive to the needs of Malawi in particular and the world in general.
• Ensure high standards of discipline among staff members and students alike.
• Ensure adherence to administrative, academic, research and financial policies, rules and regulations.
• Chair various statutory committees of the university
• Carry out any assignment delegated by the Vice Chancellor from time to time
2. Research and Publications
• Ensure implementation of University Research Agenda which fosters application of research results to improve knowledge and human welfare.
• Facilitate collaborative research projects and innovative research that can result in improved production, processing and marketing of agricultural products.
• Encourage academic members of staff to embark on investigative research that brings about socio-economic changes in peoples habits.
3. Academic Affairs
• Advise the Vice Chancellor on all academic matters.
• Initiate development and review of curricula for all programmes.
• Explore and facilitate alternative teaching and learning avenues (including open and distance learning) in order to widen access to higher education.
• Work hand in hand with Senate on academic programmes, standards, research and consultancies for policy guidelines.
• Liaise with external stakeholders to develop and maintain strategic academic partnerships
4. Marketing and Publicity
• Provide leadership for the development and execution of a comprehensive strategic communications and marketing plan to enhance the universities leadership position, reputation and brand.
• Market the University by giving desirable visibility through interaction with government, the public, the donor community and the outside world on higher education issues.
5. Financial/Business Management
• Lead the resource mobilization initiatives and ensure that funds raised by the University and those provided by government are managed properly.
• Develop and manage strategic alliances and partnerships with the public and the private sectors in areas of mutual interest.
6. Quality Assurance
• Ensure that mechanisms for quality control and inspection are in place and are functioning properly so that the quality of the graduates is consistent with both regional and international expectations.
• Champion process of obtaining ISO certification.
The candidate for the post of Deputy Vice-Chancellor of LUANAR must be a distinguished scholar/administrator with outstanding academic and administrative records. S/he must be a proven manager of human and material resources. Specifically,
i. The person must be proven leader with academic and managerial standing at senior Management level in the higher education sector and should possess a Doctorate Degree earned from a reputable University in their discipline and must be at the level of or equivalent to Associate Professor or Professor in any field of specialization.
ii. Possess a proven and demonstrable ability to attract international research and development grants;
iii. Exhibit entrepreneurial drive and ability to attract extra-statutory funds and mobilise other resources for the development of the University;
iv. Demonstrate ability to attract, motivate and retain highly skilled and talented staff in all categories, teaching and non-teaching;
v. Possess proven skills of team building, written and oral communication, and Information, Communication and Technology (ICT).
Tenure of the Post and Remuneration Package
The successful candidate shall hold office for a period of four years and be eligible for reappointment for one further term of office based on satisfactory performance. The candidate shall be offered an attractive salary and benefits commensurate with seniority of the position and qualifications.
Mode of Application
Interested Candidates who meet the above conditions should submit 3 copies of their applications, which should include an application letter, detailed curriculum vitae giving names and addresses of three traceable referees and copies of their qualifications under confidential cover on or before (Friday 21st April , 2017) to:
The University Registrar and Secretary to Council
Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources
P.O. Box 219
The submission of the hard copy should be accompanied by full electronic submission of the application and accompanying materials to be mailed as attachment in PDF or MS Word format to: email@example.com, the subject line should read, “Application for the Post of Deputy Vice-Chancellor”. Referees should be similarly encouraged to submit signed electronic copies of their references in PDF format to the same address.